I'm not going to say they're the 10 BEST things about our house, because honestly, I love so much about this house that I probably couldn't pick the top 10, but there are a few things that I am absolutely in love with in our new house, and I want to share them with you. Why? Because I wanna.
1. Second floor laundry room. It. Is. AWESOME not having to haul my laundry up and down stairs. It cuts my laundry time by a lot, and it makes me not want to do it less. Get that? I used to hate going into the basement to do the laundry. It was dark and stinky. So dark, that when we moved here and I put the washer and dryer into the well lit laundry closet, I saw how filthy they were and cleaned them. Like super cleaned them. It was bad.
2. Hardwood floors. My kids are messy. Particularly the Ham and the baby. But instead of hauling out the carpet cleaner every time they spilled something (hah... yeah, that never actually happened) I can just sweep/mop it up. No more crunchy carpet. No more mystery stains. No more ick.
3. My stove. It's new. It has cast iron grates that join together in the middle so I can make a truckload of tamales if I want to (and I really really do want to). It has these honkin burners that look like a flamethrower got squashed, and it boils water in a nanosecond. The oven heats up fast. Like super fast. And it displays the temp digitally in real time so I can see if it's just about there or not. It also has a keep warm setting which I intend to use for baking bread. Which I actually do. Just not currently because my house is a pig sty.
4. The hose sprayer doohickey on my kitchen faucet. The head of the faucet pulls out and has a sprayer thingy that works 10x better than that beside-the-faucet jobby we used to have. Cleans the baby's tray in a second!
5. The neighborhood. So far the kids have been outside playing until dark every day it hasn't rained. There are 5 families with kids in elementary school within 3 houses in either direction. A kid in E's class is 2 doors down, and a kid in A's class is across the cul-de-sac from us. The moms all watch each other's kids when the other has to go pick up a younger sibling or run to the store or what have you. It's AWESOME! I actually got to figure out a few things without being pestered incessantly the other day. I am in LOVE with our neighborhood!
6. The school district. Our old town had a great school district, but A was not being challenged at all. He was being sent home with books he breezed through in 2 seconds. They were reviewing letters. A was getting bored. Here he is being challenged already, is having to think outside the box, and is doing difficult stuff! His math homework was sudoku. Seriously. I couldn't even do it! He didn't get it 100% but he was so close! I love that he's being forced to work and think hard.
7. Giant closets. We have his and hers walk in closets. Need I say more? Mine even has a window! :-)
8. The giant basement. I don't even know what's down there. There could be a 5th kid down there for all I know. But one thing I do know is that my closets are not crammed with crap I couldn't find space for. Hallelujah!
9. Along the same lines... my pantry. It's huge. Yes, it has wire shelving, which I despise, but that is so easily fixable. I just did food shopping, while hungry, and our pantry still has bare spaces. It's huge. It's awesome. And it has a childlock on it now because Ham has decided he likes going in there, closing the door, and secretly snacking on all the kids' lunch snacks. *sigh*
10. The garage. L2 likes to fall asleep in the car. Now I can actually leave him asleep in the car, just keep the door open and listen for him to wake up! He gets sleep, I get things done. It's a win win! Plus I wont have to shovel off my car come snow time (you know... next weekend.) LOVE IT!
I love my house. I love it so good. I actually had to clarify to my husband that I didn't want to marry it and have little vacation houses with it, because he was getting worried. Maybe I lied a little.